Root canals are a routine dental procedure and most people tend to avoid it because of root canal pain. However, root canal procedures can protect you from a possible tooth extraction. Our dentists at West Airdrie Smiles have answered all your root canal questions for better understanding.
What Is A Root Canal?
A root canal helps in the removal of your infected tooth pulp. It is a form of endodontic dental procedure. It retains most of your original tooth structure. By removing your infected pulp, your dentist in Airdrie can protect your tooth and also stop the spread of the infection. Detecting the problem in time is essential, and it can prevent further root canal pain and provide relief from the situation. There are several common signs of this infection. If you notice any then you must get it checked.
Do Root Canals Hurt?
Now that we know what is a root canal, let us bust some myths about root canal pain. The amount of pain you will experience before your procedure is immense. But your root canal procedure is completely pain-free. You will be under sedation throughout the procedure, and you practically will feel nothing. After your root canal procedure, you will only experience minimal pain. However, you must visit your Airdrie dentist if the pain persists.
How Long Does A Root Canal Take?
Worried that your dental procedure will take longer than anticipated? Your favorite dentist in Airdrie is here to clear your doubts! A simple procedure usually takes one visit to the dental office. The treatment does not take more than one to two hours. However, the exact amount of time depends on your oral health condition. Some people even require two sittings with their dentist.
Some Tips To Prepare For Your Root Canal
Now that you know how long a root canal takes, let us find out how to prepare for the treatment. Your favorite Airdrie dentist has listed them below.
- Have a good meal before your procedure. This will ensure that you do not feel hungry while your dental care professional is performing the surgery.
- Sleep well before your procedure.
- Refrain from smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages twenty-four hours before the treatment. It could lead to a dry mouth and make it difficult for your Airdrie dentist while performing the procedure.
- Discuss with your dentist and get painkillers for instant relief.
- Talk to your dentist in Airdrie and discuss all your concerns before the procedure.
Root Canal Recovery Tips
Here are some tips to recover faster from your root canal treatment. Feel free to share these tips and tricks with your loved ones.
- Stay away from tobacco and alcohol for a faster recovery process.
- Try to keep your head elevated. This will help your body to heal faster and lead to a proper root canal recovery.
- You can go for cold compresses.
- Avoid strenuous physical activities for the next couple of days for a quicker root canal recovery.
- You must contact your dentist in case of an emergency.
We hope this blog has helped you to gain more knowledge about root canals. Get in touch with us at West Airdrie Dental for the best root canal treatment in Airdrie, AB.